Production Analysis

Eventually I think that my work overall has turned out quite well with some good work. My character work and collaboration work are definitely my strongest modules as I think that the title sequence although in the style I planned (quite successful in this respect), I don’t think the look is as professional as it could have been. I am especially pleased with my collaboration work as it is in a style that I hadn’t explored before and the finished images turned out to be very successful within the animation they were designed for and also as standalone images. The character work developed well into well realised characters and again explored a style I hadn’t used before so I am happy with how I have adapted to different styles in this project.
The biggest change I would make if I did the project again would be to do more pre-production work sooner as I spent most of the project doing this leaving the production work suffer a little. I definitely hit a bit of a wall in the early stages of my final major project. Although I tried to use different styles throughout my work, in future I will make sure that the style choice is fully realised before I go ahead and incorporate my project around it, I think that this is where my title sequence work could have developed much further and become more professional looking and hence more successful.
I learned quite a lot throughout this project regarding how to develop character. Before this project and in the early stages of this project I would try and design a character purely concentrating on the look without much thought for the character of the character. I would design all of my characters straight on trying to put down as many images as possible hoping that one of them would stand out. I learned to think about how the character; how they would stand, act and all of their unique qualities that make up their character and would then develop these qualities and how to show them.
In future projects I would like to take what I’ve learned further in that how I can make my character work more unique by implementing qualities that characterise my work and make them more appealing. I’d like to create some in situation images that tell a story in themselves and add to the overall character of the story and characters. Also I would take these ideas into my background work and concept art focusing on how to give a background character rather than just creating a backdrop that looks pretty.
One other thing I will take into future projects is to constantly revitalise my mind by looking more and more for things to inspire me stay enthused and inspired throughout the project and not loose interest or hit a dead end.

More collaboration

Some more collab work for Darren. changed the colour scheme for the top 2 from blue to orange.

Insitu Images and Promo Image

these are my insituation images. quite pleased with these again especially the top 2, havn't really explored this style of background before so I'm happy with these. I think that the characters need to sit a little better looking at them again.
This is my promotional image for Chuck, I actually quite like it. Havn't really done anything like this before so am glad with how it's turnde out.

Poses and Colour Line Up

here are the final poses and the coloured line up. I think that the colours all suit well together, i tried to keep them all around the same saturation and brightness.

Character Turnarounds

Finished my turnarounds...I hope their right. please comment on any changes that need to happen

Pose and Expression Sheets

here are some rough pose and expression designs for my character project. I like a few of them and think that they show the characters quite well.

Final Title Seqence Images

These are some of the finalised images for my title sequence, I like them but I think i prefered the look that the marker pens gave in my early tests. These are nice and clean though and I like the subtle textures to stop the images looking too flat.

colour tests

Just some colour tests and shading tests, again comment if you like. I think I'm going for the lighter shading and texturing. I'll see what colours work well together in a line up.

More collaboration

This is a background I designed for Mel for her film, she really liked it but I'm not sure if she's using it yet.


Just realised I hadn't put up any collaboration work yet or even said that I am collaborating with Darren Findlay. I am colouring and texturing all of his backgrounds for his student film. So here are a few, i'm very happy with the way they have turned out and I think Darren is also.

title sequence dev

ok this is some development for my title sequence project. I think that these are starting to get finallised now. please comment on which you like if any.

Final Character designs

So these are the final designs, got there in the end but i'm happy with them. I hit a bit of a wall with the characters so am glad that i finally got a rhythm back and finished these guys off. coloured versions to come.

these three images show how my characters developed into the final designs above, i'm quite pleased with them.

getting somewhere I think.

thought i'd put these up to show how my characters are preogressing. I think a few of these are starting to look ok so will develop a few of them and post em up to see what you think.